Monday, August 27, 2012

UK Beers I

While I have great hopes for beer tasting in the next two years, I have been disturbed by the number of Australian lagers on tap so far (in other words Miriam will love it! :-)). I have managed to try a couple of UK beers so far, and haven't been super wowed quite yet.

Brakspear Bitter
Style: Mild
Brewery: Breakspar (one of the big names here)
Rating:5.5
Chance of drinking again: Only if there are no other options. I've tried it, it's OK, doesn't warrant eager drinking.
I really wasn't impressed by this at all. It was an ale, and was much better than anything in Portugal (aside from the sneaky Budvar I got in), but it was a bit of nothing really, Just enough malt to be malty, but not enough to avoid being a little watery, enough beeriness to raise expectations but ultimately disappointing. Missing the creamy smoothness of other handpulled beers I've had, this beer would be better suited to being cold and a bit more fizzy (in other words it needs something to hide its flaws). No real hop profile to speak of.

Rebellion IPA
Style: IPA
Brewery: Marlow Brewery
Rating 7/10
Chance of drinking again: Relatively high. I would look for it in the supermarket.
This was a welcome shift up from all other beers I've had this trip. A solid ale with some nice creaminess and malty goodness. Missing the hop levels of APAs and NZ IPAs, it nonetheless was a good example of the British style. Had the handpulled creaminess, and just the right temperature for the evening. Was also good to taste a beer from a local Oxfordshire brewery. Great baseline, wish I hadn't ruined that honour with the Brakspear....

No comments:

Post a Comment