Thursday, August 16, 2012

Portuguese beer...

Despite sometimes strong misgivings, I like to give the local beer selection in a country a go before judging it. Even if it looks crap, I like to give it a whirl so that when a friendly waiter offers me the beer, I can pound my way through the sense of obligation and their national pride with a well researched opinion.

In these times I can then (with authority) say "No thanks! I'd rather have water" OR "I have a liver disorder, which means I only drink beer that's worth it" (not really for waiters, but good for when people you know try and foist the latest lager internationale on you).

As I'll be in bunch more countries than is typical, I thought I'd start to review the local beers... for research's sake. Starting doesn't mean finishing though, but I intend to do more than one.

So, without further ado... Portugal's two most popular beers:

Super Bock:
Style: pale 'lager'
Rating: 1/10
Chance of drinking again: Even if it were the only beer, or even alcoholic beverage in the world, I would choose to remain abstinent rather than let it pass my lips.
It's sole redeeming feature was how cold it was. Fizzy, watery, in fact a lot like fizzy water, which I hate, so I had an automatic dislike for this. It didn't improve as the fizz wore off, in fact it got worse because it was less cold. Instead of any malt or hops coming to the fore, the defining taste continued to be... water. And not nice water either, water sort of muddied with an indefinable something that you wish wasn't there.

Based on all these features, I predict it could well become the next Corona or Sol in time. People who don't like beer but pretend they do will love it.


Sagres
Style: pale lager
Rating 3/10
Chance of drinking again: With no other real beer options, would drink again (and have done so).
A much better offering than Super Bock (although less available in Porto and less marketed). The first time I saw this beer I was quite put off, as the advertising is blatantly sexist (think Lynx without the 'irony' - Update - while still sexist, turns out the advertising was more "drink the mini and retain your beach body" ala Special K ads). But after 'Super' Bock (Subpar Bock hereafter), I was hoping for something that might be more beer-ish to drink on those hot Portuguese afternoons. Turns out this is actually drinkable when cold, has a bit of a malty flavour (no hops noticeable though).

The beer was also very fizzy, but with actual flavour arising from it, it meant I might actually have this again...

Update: I have modified some aspects of the review system as it basically comes down to "Would I drink this again with no other options and it were presented to me" - turns out percentages are no bloody use to anyone, no bloody use at all... I also upgraded the rating for Sagres to account for both Jody and Miriam's comments - I will hereafter rate beers based within their style rather than overall from now on... I will, HOWEVER, reserve the right to bitch about lagers as they mostly suck. You cannot be a lager aficionado - that is like being a coca-cola aficionado. I also reserve the right to make sweeping statements like this...


2 comments: